Lowering Cholesterol Through The Foods You Eat
If you have high cholesterol and you are thinking of lowering your cholesterol level, don’t worry because you can do it yourself and a lot of other people are also experiencing the same problem. This may be a tough job but it will be worth it in the end. There are several ways and steps to be healthy. If you want to be serious, you must closely follow each step. Actually, there are two kinds of cholesterol in your body, HDL and LDL. The difference between the two is that HDL is the cholesterol that is bad for you and LDL is the healthy one. An increase in blood cholesterol is very common in most people. Lowering cholesterol takes discipline to follow some of these helpful tips:
1. Eat fish. This is an effective way to easily lower cholesterol. Salmon is a good choice because it is high in Omega-3 fatty acids. Flax seed is also a good source of Omega-3.
2. If you love desserts, try to limit them and choose healthier ones. Eating graham crackers, fat-free frozen yogurt, and angel food cake is a nice alternative. Set aside the mouth-watering desserts you have been eyeing.
3. You should eat foods that are rich in fiber. Oatmeal, vegetables, beans, fruits, wheat bread and some cereals are examples of foods that have high fiber.
4. Eat more fruits and vegetables. They are the natural foods that contain no cholesterol at all. You can eat a lot of them without the slightest chance of cholesterol.
5. You must avoid fast foods such as French fries and all the food that is cooked in a deep fryer. These are the foods with the fattiest ingredients. They are dipped into oil and absorb too much oil. Although they are tempting, it is worth the sacrifice. Stay away from burgers too, or reserve them for an occasional special treat.
6. If you like salad, try and find a new salad dressing, which is cholesterol friendly. Most salad dressing is full of cholesterol and Trans fats. Maybe a choice of vinegar with lemon juice or Olive oil will be a good option. Bacon bits, egg yolks and croutons should be avoided.
7. If you really can’t get away from burgers and steak, you can grill them in your backyard and use lean cuts of meat instead. This type of cooking prevents reduces the amount of fat in the meat and barbecuing is fun and enjoyable which makes eating pleasurable.
8. If you want a nice healthy sandwich without the fats, have whole wheat bread with a mix of lean turkey and lots of vegetables. Remember to skip the salami, hot dogs and of course the mayo. This type of food is highly processed with cholesterol and fats. Now after all the worries, you realize that adjusting your diet isn’t going to be too hard at all right? Lowering cholesterol is not a tough job. It just takes patience and dedication and you will have the your levels under control in no time. Remember, it is important to consult your physician before making any significant changes in diet or lifestyle. Always follow their advice regarding the control of cholesterol levels.
Natures Therapy Articles
Natures Therapy Books